Monday, June 9, 2008

The Digital Divide: Where We Are Today

In my classroom this last school year I had 20 students, three of which I could communicate though e-mail with. I had one student that would e-mail me regularly in regards to homework and to shoot me kinks he fond funny or helpful. That was 1/5th of my class was or had parents that were computer literate. The other 4/5th’s either didn’t have computers or did not have internet access. If George Bush doesn’t think there is a divide he needs to get out from behind his desk, away form policy makers and business men that are telling him differently and visit my school. Who ever thinks a divide does not exist has never had to work two jobs just to pay the rent and put food on the table while raising a family below the poverty level. A divide will exist and until the cost of gas, food and the basic necessaries the divide will not only grow wider but deeper too.

2 comments:

ann-marie said...

Yes!!!! The divide is there. I agree. I myself being a single girl on a teaching salary, I can not afford a house and travel too. The schools in Arizona are definitely not even close to being even. We have school that have everything to schools that have nothing or very little . Hopefully our new president will have his eyes a little more wide open than Bush.

ann-marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.