Thursday, June 5, 2008

Re: Writing-Plagiarism Advice for Lessons

This reading was focused on 18 ways to help students avoid plagiarism. I found most of them to be helpful and as I reviewed the reading I could not this of anyway to stop the cut and paste problem other than to require students to only read articles in PDF format. Still cutting and pasting can happen you just have to be a little more creative with it. The point that strikes be and rubs me the wrong way is the several points that were made about educating the parents. It isn’t enough that we have high testing expectations now I need to teach the parents too? I think an outline or reminder or even a web link would suffice. I know this reads as a harsh statement but their just seems to be less and less parent accountability for the education of their children…. Just venting.

1 comment:

ann-marie said...

I agree. This world we live in just because we are educators, they want us to educate everyone besides our students. When parents seek me out for help, I am more than willing to help. I get frustrated when the district asks teachers to teach a class after hours and not one parent shows up. Then the parents after the fact blames us (teachers) for not educating them. Its a never ending battle. The copying and pasting will not stop until our little ones learn to summarize (putting things in their own words). I amazed at the numbers of upper grade students who don't even know what summarizing means. We as lower grade teachers have to start now at least with the basics. Believe me being a teacher now a days we simply can't win and we are expected to do so much.